Summer squash is one of the season’s most popular vegetables. Mashed, fried, puréed, roasted, steamed or grilled, it can be added to many mouth watering and healthy recipes. Summer squash comes in many shades of yellow and green and can add substance and flavor to everything from muffins to tacos to stews. The delicate flavor, soft shell and creamy white flesh of summer squash is a perfect addition to any summer meal.
For a great recipe idea that will help you take advantage of the abundance of summer squash, consider the following for Zuccini Curry.
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow or brown mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chopped fresh jalapeño chile including seeds
- 2 teaspoons finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 6 medium green or Cocozelle zucchini (3 lb), cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 (13 1/2- to 14-oz) can unsweetened coconut milk, well stirred
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup roasted cashews, chopped
- Accompaniment: cooked basmati rice
Pound garlic, jalapeño and ginger to a paste with 1 teaspoon salt, then stir in curry powder, coriander, and mustard and cumin seeds.Sauté onion, stirring until golden, add curry paste and cook over moderately low heat, stirring, 2 minutes. Add zucchini and cook, stirring, until it begins to appear moist, 3 to 5 minutes. Add coconut milk and remaining teaspoon salt and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until zucchini is just tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
Serve sprinkled with cilantro and cashews.
To find more wonderful summer squash recipes, visit epicurious.com.
Number of View :648